A conversation, a dialogue between friends trying to understand "how to be a Christian" together. A discussion in which we reserve the right to recant and not believe what we've written here and thus, take ourselves as seriously as a cow's opinion.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Jesus is Lord

As I get ready to teach 7th and 8th graders math, the question that comes upon me in waves is: what am I really doing here - in this classroom, with this group of teachers? Why did God put me in this position for this time, however long?

The answer seems to come as the next wave - Jesus is Lord! Will my life, my teaching, my treatment of the students, the environment I create in the classroom, my care for fellow teachers all declare that bold statement? Jesus is Lord! Will they see it, feel it, hear it - experience it? I hope so. I pray so.

It is interesting that so many teaching books want to create and build community in the classroom. Their programs claim "a new way of being and learning together". But did not Jesus, by way of the cross, proclaim a new way of being human and thus living together? The world wants Him, but doesn't know it wants Him.

O Lord, may I be "rescued rescuer" - declaring your Lordship in both deeds and words. May I bestow love and dignity and much grace upon those junior highers and upon my fellow teachers - the love, dignity and grace You would pour upon them. May I pray Your kingdom prayer - Thy will be done in my classroom as it is in heaven - over and over. And may you bring it to fulfillment. Thank you for this opportunity, for whatever length of time it lasts. You are Lord. I want to declare that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home