A conversation, a dialogue between friends trying to understand "how to be a Christian" together. A discussion in which we reserve the right to recant and not believe what we've written here and thus, take ourselves as seriously as a cow's opinion.

Monday, April 11, 2005

The Problem With Christian Morality

Audra writes:
I heard a thought-provoking statement last night that I can't get out of my mind. It came from an unusual place that, I confess, I don't usually expect to hear anything thought-provoking. A small group.
I won't spend my time breaking down why I've lost almost all faith in small groups, I'll save that for another blog. But this statement seems to be bridging the gaps as I try to figure out many of the problems facing christianity today.

Statement:
"We are raising children who have a christian morality, but don't have a Christian mind."

We have become experts at the "right and wrong" of Biblical morality, but fail to think as Jesus does. We all agree on the right and wrongs of sexual sin and could recite them since we were in junior high. But are we willing to acknowledge Jesus' teaching concerning money, the poor, orphans and widows and allow those to change the way we live?

Are we willing to consider Jim Wallis' observation that when you look at the compilation of Jesus' teachings, they would seem to lead to the fact that Jesus is most concerned with the poor, the distressed and the needy.

Are we?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara Malouf said...

I have to tell you that this idea of christian morality vs. the mind of Christ has really challenged me. It has made me look at my life and actions and interactions differently (for the past 24 hours). Thank you, my friend. You are helping to grow me up!

6:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home