A conversation, a dialogue between friends trying to understand "how to be a Christian" together. A discussion in which we reserve the right to recant and not believe what we've written here and thus, take ourselves as seriously as a cow's opinion.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Food Exchange and Urban Tribes

Imagine the picture of "The First Thanksgiving" - where a large feast is set before the participants, on neutral soil, and the Native Americans bring their food items to the table and the Pilgrims bring theirs. The great exchange of food takes place and (as the myth goes) friendships are formed.

Now I know the difficulty that insues in history as a result of these two parties meeting and befriending, but I am amazed at how similar an exchange takes place in my life a few times a week.

We have moved into a suburban neighborhood, where theoretically we are supposed to keep to our own spaces, keep our distance, and really not know one another. However, our neighborhood is filled with people who have more or less come to this new land from different nations - and so a great food exchange has begun.

We had our neighbor from Korea over the other day to celebrate her birthday and to sit around the table and get to know one another. Two days later, she took Mikaela and I (and her daughter) out to lunch and another day after that traditional Korean food was handed to me on my doorstep with a huge "thank you".

I just got back from another neighbor's house. She is an elderly German lady and I hadn't seen her in a few days so I went to check on her. I was invited in for conversation, to see pictures of our family and then was sent on my way with delicious pastries and cakes that had been baked this morning. More food exchange.

And then there are our neighbors from Mexico. Their little boy comes and plays at our house after school if they are not home, and so, in gratitude we receive packages of food at least 2 times a week. Not only that, we were invited to their house on Labor Day for dinner - an event which suspiciously probably looked a lot like the gather that first Thanksgiving. People from different cultures bringing their different foods to the table, trying ineptly to communicate with one another, but grateful for other human beings to befriend.

So hurray! for the exchanging of food as it brings our little secluded life into the lives of others in our community or cul-de-sac. May we form new urban (or suburban) tribes full of colors, languages, and great food!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ash Tray said...

Tara... I love the last three blog posts. I see the up and the down in this new life - or at least new geography in which you dwell. I love the example you set by making a community not of those people who are a rubber stamp of YOU (which I do), but those who are in your most proximal community - your physical neighbors. What a wonder it is to "see" (hear/read) how this happens. And it comes as absolutely NO surprize that it is indeed centered around a table (or at least an exchange of food). What a wonderful treasure it is to share with those in community the gift of yourself through your culinary creations. So simple. And far better than a box of donuts or bagels as a "thank-you." BTW, I still need those recipes of those amazing Ukrainian dishes we had at Christmas two years ago :)

11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara and Audra, I am so glad that the two of you are writting again...I just read back through all the new posts and my mind is swarming with thoughts. Audra, your thoughts on Organic Church were especially interesitng to me (and the comments there after) as last night I got to be involved in a very "organic" (using this word the way it was used in that thread of yours) gathering...it wasn't lead but people shared their lives and prayed and shared scripture as the Spirit lead them - it was messy but it was beautiful and as I read your post today and the comments that accompanied it I got to re-live and re-think my experience last night. Tara, the pictures you've painted of your "new geography" as another comment called it have especially stuck with me as I find myself also experiencing the ups and downs of a move - and though a very different move than yours I find there are things I can relate to and that challenge me as you share about your own experience. Thank you both for sharing and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts in the future.
- Bethany

3:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home